The food and beverages industry in Indonesia is one of the most highly regulated industries. Various licensing from various government bodies are required to be able to sell or distribute food and beverages products in the Indonesian market (as well as but not limited to cosmetics, medicine, and complementary products). Before carrying out the import and distribution process, the related industry must first have a product distribution permit issued by BPOM, called BPOM ML/MD Number.
Responsibilities of BPOM (National Agency of Drug and Food Control):
- Issue product distribution permits and certificates in accordance with standards and requirements for safety, efficacy/benefit, and quality, as well as drug and food testing in accordance with the provisions of laws and regulations.
- Conduct intelligence and investigations in the field of Drug and Food control in accordance with the provisions of the legislation.
Code Labels of Product Registration in Indonesia
- Code ML, which is granted to processed food and beverage products derived from imported products, either directly or repackaged. Valid for 5 years and can be renewed.
- Code MD, which is granted to large capital food and beverage products tacitly considered to have the competence to comply with the food safety requirements set by the government. Valid for 5 years and can be renewed.
Pre-Registration Documents and Data BPOM ML Number registration:
- Letter of Appointment from the Principal/Manufacturer.
- CFS certificate from the Principal/Manufacturer.
- GMP Certificate from the Principal/Manufacturer.
- Master of Formula from the Principal/Manufacturer.
- Label and Packaging Design from the Principal/Manufacturer.
- Halal Certificate from the Principal/Manufacturer (if applied).
- Importer documents: NIB, SIUP, Commercial License, NPWP, Location Permit, and Import License.